Monday, September 09, 2013

New Week, Old Food

This past weekend was interesting.  Saturday I repeated the broccoli casserole and Blackened Tilapia with Secret Hobo Spices.  The casserole was much better.   The tilapia was our only new recipe for the week.  Everyone liked the fish, but no one cared for the seasoning.  It was WAY too spicy, even for me. 

I did make it to Williams Sonoma and bought a new slicer.  I'm not sure I would have bought it if not for the 20% off one item sale they were having.  This one slices in four thicknesses, as well as julienne cuts and french fry cuts. 

Sunday I made lunch for my crew with a batch of Twice Baked Potatoes and Fried Round Steak.  The cubed steak (round) wasn't as good this time, not sure what I did.  I then used my new slicer and did up four cucumbers and an onion for a Cool Cucumber Salad to take to the Youth Kickoff Picnic at church.  Cutting the onion was a dream.  The cucumber was ok -- the food holder didn't work as well with a tall item.  I am so ready to try dicing an onion.

I also subscribed to a new service this week, Backyard Produce.  I keep running out of an item here, an item there, especially produce.  This is a weekly delivery from local farms.  I started with their "Flying Solo" package.  This week I chose zucchini, squash, onion, and red potatoes.  I'm not sure which day of Tues - Thurs I'll get my delivery.

Today I pulled out the huge back of frozen spaghetti sauce from my freezer.  I made baked spaghetti for dinner; the boys practically licked the pan clean.  After I returned from scouts, I cooked another batch of noodles and made a second one and put it in the freezer for another day.  YAY me.  I purchased some aluminum serving pans (10x12) and lids at Sam's Club so I had the perfect pan to put it in the freezer.  Then I can just wash the sauce pot, and add the ingredients for the next batch of sauce to the shopping list. 

Tomorrow I am cooking one of the two Boston Butt pieces I purchased at Sam's Club ($1.58 / lb) with the Crock Pot Pulled Pork recipe everyone liked so much.  It will give me dinner tomorrow, and a batch to freeze for later. 

Sorry for the ramblings.  At the Youth picnic, someone brought what was basically a Tabouli recipe, but they used Quinoa instead of bulgar wheat.  It was positively delicious.  That's made my to-do list for the week.  1)  Finding a Tabouli recipe, and 2)  Looking for Quinoa recipes.

No comments: