Friday, August 23, 2013

Open House Week Food

It's the week before school in these parts, and that means open houses at the kids' school.  Tuesday night everyone ate leftovers.  Wednesday, we took advantage of a 40% off coupon and ate out at Macaroni Grill before heading to high school open house.

Thursday I was still tired, but it's back on the home cooking wagon.  With my handy dandy new skillet, I tried the Fried Round Steak recipe again.  It turned out MUCH better.  We had just plain white rice to go with it.  Duncan actually ate his this time.  It still amazes me the difference a new pan can make. 

I was so good Thursday, I even cooked lunch.  I repeated the Chicken Crescent Rolls.  This time instead of cooking my own chicken, I popped a can of chicken intended for Chicken Salad.  Charles said he liked this better.  I'm still undecided, but the canned chicken made it much quicker and easier.

On to Friday!

Tonite was a new recipe, Crock Pot Pulled Pork.  I bought a 6.25 lb piece of Boston Butt.  I should have created the rub, and then frozen the pork with it and the onions according to the recipe, but I didn't plan far enough ahead.  Instead I defrosted the pork overnight, then rubbed it first thing this morning.  My recipe also called for 4-5 lbs of pork, but I certainly had PLENTY of rub.    When we went to pull the pork, we confirmed we had enough to put half in the freezer for another meal.  We drained off the juices, then I added the BBQ sauce and let it simmer for about 20 minutes while I made my side of Cool Cucumber Salad.  Again, I was not smart tonite, I should have made the salad ahead and let it chill.  Everyone but Duncan liked the salad, he wasn't fond of the dill.   Both are definitely recipes to repeat.  When we do the pork again, we expect to thaw it, put it in a pot with BBQ sauce and heat and serve on buns.

I'm not sure what we are eating next.  It's about time to try a chicken recipe again, and I have chuck eye steaks in the freezer as well, along with hamburger.  I have some recipes to use with small potatoes, and the boys are requesting the broccoli casserole again.  Suggestions?  Links to recipes you love?

No comments: