Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day, Self Worth, and other topics

Happy Mother's Day ladies! I woke up at 7:00, and decided to be extra nice -- Charles is always asking to sleep in, so I checked on Connor and sure enough he was awake. He's now happily playing ToonTown Online behind me on his dad's computer. He is such a gift -- happy, curious, smart, loving -- everything a mother could ask for. Duncan was awake until almost midnite so I expect he'll be sleeping in this morning.

Charles brought me flowers Friday (roses) as an early Mother's Day present. We had recently sent flowers to a mutual friend having a hard time -- she cried when she thanked us. While I get on him about being money concious, it is nice to get fresh flowers sometimes.

I really am glad Deanna shared her blog on Scrap Addict with me -- writing a journal is such a good way to clear your head. I started our family web page back up again recently, but I think a general update on our lives is more appropriate there than a brain dump. I've added a link to this blog there, so we'll see where it goes. I've taken a bunch of "soft skills" classes thru work in the last year or so: 7 habits of highly effective people, Team Building, Career Reflections. It has been very enlightening about personality types, what motivates you, and understanding how you interact with others. It certain has generated alot of bandwidth in my thoughts. The one I finished this week, Team Building, talked alot about your intrinsic self worth and your extrinsic worth. Basically -- you have worth as a human being, and you shouldn't let feedback or criticism of your work impact your self esteem as a person. I found this really profound. I've had a hard time on some of the msg boards I participate in -- Scrap Addict being one -- over the last year. It really started back at last year's National Scrapbooking Day. I was sooo excited getting ready for it, but by the end of the day I felt so excluded. In my opinion (that and 75 cents will buy you a cup of coffee), this community is very oriented around getting published and being on the cutting edge. There are some wonderful ladies there who are wonderful regardless of their "toot" status, but I still feel like I'm only allowed on the perimeter. Case in point, there was a thread about critiquing/praising someone else's work back in February. I joined it and commented on Annette's work, which meant the next poster would comment on me -- and the thread died. I had been very hesitant to join the thread -- wasn't sure I wanted to hear what others said about my work, but decided that input was good -- and then I felt snubbed about it. I don't now -- part of the training this year points out the only person I can change is ME. Yet I still ponder why I want to be part of that community -- National Scrapbooking Day activities are coming up next weekend and again, I'm eager to participate we'll see.

OK, now my mother-in-law is up too, so I guess I'll sign off for now. Have a great Sunday!

No comments: